Have you ever Googled yourself? What do you find when you type in your name to the search bar?
Go ahead and do it now. I’ll wait.
You could be in for a bit of a nasty surprise that someone is using your name as their website address. Let me tell you, it came as a bit of a shock to see that my name, http://www.stacysnow.com, was linked to an adult website! As soon as it became available, I snapped it up and will sit on it forever to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
Why else would you buy a website domain?
- Vanity url – What better way for someone to find you than to Google your name and actually find you rather than the 8 million people who share your name?
- Redirect site – When they find your website name, you can use it to redirect to your business website or whatever you would like it to.
- Use it for personal reasons – What better way to put your resume online than to have your own domain name?
- Family history – We live in an amazing age where you will live on digitally even after you are gone. Why not have your name share your personal history?
- Personal security – We also live in an age where identity theft is on the rise. Safety first.
- It’s fun! It’s an addicting past time and could be a profitable business as well.